The Terrifying Search for Internship



Looking for a job but not sure where to start?  Do you ever find yourself wanting to jump right into getting out into the professional world, but don't want to sign on with a company for a set amount of time just yet? Gaining and trying new experiences is extremely important when trying to figure out what it is exactly you want to do for the rest of your life...

That is where the internship comes in.  Not only are internships something that companies look for when hiring a candidate to see whether or not that person has experience in their field, but they are and should be also essential to your search... your search in determining what you enjoy, and what you don't.  

But of course internship searches are questionably just as intimidating as finding your first entry-level job.  Chances are you are a college student wanting to gain valuable experience to your field.  So where do you start?  Where do you find these internships?
The search for my first internship was over nine months long.  I searched for several months trying to get an idea of what companies want, the related requirements, etc.  Time had passed and I would regularly check for new internships on different sites, applying to some, but not exactly being as proactive as I should have. 

One day it clicked.  I was only a couple of months away from entering my senior year of college.  It was my time to get the experience I needed, and to find an internship where I would be taking all that I learned from my years of schooling and applying it in the real world.  

Yes, finding an internship is intimidating.  For the longest time I put it off.  Here's the good news. You try it, you don't like it, you gained experience.  Time to try something new.  My suggestion is to jump right in, find an internship that appears to suit you, and apply.  I would highly recommend Looksharp.  It is a career site that it is easy, convenient and I suggest it to everyone.  Good luck in your search, but remember, you're here for the experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment